For posterity for me (verbatim from here, thanks to the original poster):
- Change #AutoEnable=false to AutoEnable=true in the /etc/bluetooth/main.conf (notice new line is un-commented)
- Unpair the headset
- Restart the bluetooth service sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart
- Pair your headset again and connect it
- Go to sound settings. From the output device tab you should now see the headset listed along with other output device like internal speakers
- Choose it as the sound output device.
Still scratching my head as to why this stuff still doesn’t work out of the box in 2016, even though all the pieces are there to make it work. Linux could be so much easier.